We are the catalyst for creating a sustainable future where elephants thrive by linking people and elephants for their mutual long-term benefit.
IEF creates a sustainable future for elephants. We generate and effectively invest resources to support elephant conservation, education, research, and management programs worldwide. Through our passion, expertise, knowledge, and partnerships we inspire and engage people to ensure a vibrant future with elephants everywhere.
Things to Know About IEF
- IEF was formed in 1998 by managers and directors of facilities that manage elephants in human care.
- IEF has provided almost $5 million to elephant conservation and research programs internationally since inception.
- IEF has supported over 120 elephant conservation and research programs.
- The current board has over 350 years of accumulative experience in wildlife and elephant handling, management, research and conservation.
- Since inception, over 85% of funds raised have gone to conservation and research programs.
- Board members receive no compensation for time spent on IEF business.
- IEF has supported Elephant Conservation Centers in Sumatra since 2000.
- IEF produced the Elephant Husbandry Resource Guide in 2004, the most recognized document on elephant management. The second addition is being worked on now.
- IEF awards conservation and research grants annually.